Happy Saturday! I can’t believe another week of summer has passed! It is going by too fast!! We haven’t even had a chance to go anywhere yet! Hopefully we will get up to the lake and to the beach very soon!
This past week my mom and I held our annual yard sale. How do we get so much stuff in a year?! It’s so crazy! Of course, we do get some things from other people too, but I know most if it was from my house. I have going through stuff like crazy and just getting rid of it. Anyways, we spent Tuesday and Wednesday unpacking and setting everything up. Thursday I had an appt. and we opened up on Friday at 7:00 am. Bright and early with customers waiting! These pictures just show a little bit. We had 8 tables (!) plus stuff out on the lawn.
Here are a few tips for holding a yard sale.
- It gets very hot here, so we start early. People like to come early and then get on with the rest of their day.
- Try to price as much as you can. We use masking tape because we never find that the stickers stick very well in our hot weather.
- Price to sell! I know things cost a lot in the store, but this is a yard sale. Many things can also be purchased at the dollar stores. We just want to sell it and get a little bit of cash. If I go to yard sales and I hear high prices, I usually walk away.
- Use tape, rubber-bands, boxes or safety pins to keep groups together.
- We hold our sale for two days, so the first day we are usually a little higher. The second day, anything goes! Make us a deal!
- We advertise on Craigslist and put out signs on the corners. We aren’t allowed to attach signs to the telephone poles, so we take an empty box, attach signs and put a brick in the box so it doesn’t blow out into the road.
- Try to have as much up on tables or hanging as possible. I don’t like it when I have to bend or squat down to go through clothes, so we use lots of table and a hanging rack. We do have larger items on the lawn, but not stuff you have to spend a lot of time looking through.
- We use fanny packs and purses to keep our money in. This way we can wander around helping customers or cleaning up tables and take money at the same time.
Even though setting up for the yard sale is a lot of work, I enjoy the time I get to spend with my mom and dad and my girls. We have lots of good memories from these days. I hope these tips help you out at your next yard sale!! It can be a great way to clean out your home and make a little extra money!!