Good morning! It’s October! Can you believe it? We have been having some beautiful weather this past week. I’ve been able to have the windows open and feel the breeze come through the house. It’s wonderful! My school visits the pumpkin patch this week and I hope to be able to pick up a few nice colored pumpkins while I am there.
I’ve continued my fall decorating through the house. You can see the the dining room here and the living room here. As you can see I changed from my green, black and white color scheme. I went a little more traditional in here. This room is separated from the living room, so I can change it up a little bit. I still used a lot of neutrals, but I added little touches of orange too. I have a few tips or ideas that I use when decorating for fall.
- My first tip: Use what you have! Many of the pieces you already own can be used in your fall decor. Lanterns, baskets, burlap, cozy blankets. These items all add great texture and coziness to your rooms.
2. Texture: I mentioned this above. Woven baskets are a great way to add texture and to store some other fall decor in. Baskets can be found everywhere from Craft and Art stores, to Walmart, to thrift stores. Baskets can be painted or left natural to fit your decor. There are woven ones or metal ones and many others in between. Burlap and nubby blankets also add texture.
3. Natural Accents: Remember those baskets? Use them to store pinecones, pumpkins, acorns, ect. Fall is the perfect time to find things outdoors to use indoors. Even a tall basket full of sticks would be perfect. Of course, fall colored leaves add just the right touch to any room.
4. Pumpkins, of course! Pumpkins in all different sizes, colors, fabrics and materials. I have pumpkins made of fabric, styrofoam and rulers, and of course, real ones too. I found these little burlap ones at the Dollar Tree. Real ones come in all sorts of colors now too. Pick from orange, white, blues and greens.
5. I didn’t use any in my family room but free printables are a great way to add small touches of fall to any room. Many bloggers offer some great designs. They can be placed in frames or on clipboards and changed out for the seasons or just your mood!
6. Lights and candles: extra lamps add soft lighting, especially with the days getting shorter. I placed a lighted fall leaf garland in the wire basket on the hearth with some burlap and pumpkins. Scented candles are wonderful and really add to the fall mood.
What else do you add to your rooms? I’m sure I missed some things. Let me know what you do for the fall season! I hope you all have a great week!